Friday, May 25, 2012

....and That and This

1. Driving the other day.  Stopped at a stop-light.  The car in front of me starts to slowly roll backwards.  At first I don't react, 'cause I'm sure that he'll put on his brakes, right......right?!  No.  I lay on my horn.  Then he hits me.  I'm thinking, "Seriously?", but I'm not concerned because I know there's no damage - he wasn't rolling fast enough.  I prepare for him to get out of the car, come and inspect, apologize.  I'll say it's no big deal.  He'll say, are you sure? and, I'm so sorry.  We'll get back into our cars and leave.  I quickly visualize it all in my head.  Didn't quite happen that way.  Instead, the light turned green and he DROVE AWAY!!!  The end.
2. Joe and I were out for a walk in the neighborhood.  A guy is walking towards us.  He seriously looks like he has just gotten off a shift at a coal mine.  Not only that, but he appears to be wearing children's clothes.  A hoody, with the hood up, the sleeves end at just below his elbows, and I can see about 8-10 inches of his stomach.  His pants, not intended to be capris, but they are, and tight.  And the best part - just as he get's in front of us, he puts his hand out in front of him and waves it, gesturing for us to get out of his way.  We did.

3. When we first moved here, I wrote this post about our first week in Korea.  I wrote about how Asian kids will sometimes open their eyes wide with their fingers to make "American" eyes, just like American kids will sometimes pull back the corners of their eyes to make "Asian" eyes.  The other day on the subway we saw this advertisement. 

Translation?  It's for some kind of youth program in Seoul, which has opened their eyes and ears, and taught them so much.  Most kids here go to school every other Saturday, so they only get every other Saturday off - they call it Nolto (not sure about the spelling on that).  Anyway, this program is on their days off, on Nolto.....'cause apparantly they don't need ANY free time to just be kids.  This advertisement says something to the effect of, Through the virtue/merits of this Seoul Nolto program, they are safer and smarter (having learned about emergency/safety skills, water and nature stuff, etc.  Anyway, my kids thought it was pretty funny and made me take a picture of it.

4. We visited the Cheonggyecheon River area in downtown Seoul.  Went to Kyobo bookstore, the largest and most famous bookstore in South Korea.  Fun for all.  Then we walked around the shops, looking for something to eat.  Korean BBQ?  French sandwich shop maybe?  Oooooo, Indian sounds good!  Okay, McDonald's it is.  Then a short stroll around the beginning of the river.  They had lanterns all along the river, left over from the lantern festival.  So pretty.


5. Speaking of the Cheonggyecheon River,  I love this article about it - "Why Seoul is a Legend in Urban Planning."  You see, the river used to be covered by an 8-lane, elevated freeway.  A restoration project, completed in 2005, brought it to its present glory.  Towards the end of the article there is a link to a 10 minute video about it.  If you have the time, it's very cool.

6. Alex graduated from preschool.  Caps and Gowns.  Songs.  Diplomas.  Gift Bags.  Luncheon.  The Works. 


The kids were adorable, and I enjoyed myself, BUT I still secretly think that preschool graduations (and kindergarten graduations, and elementary school graduations of any kind) are a little ridiculous - no offense to anyone who thinks they are important;)  High school and college graduation are a big deal.  Other than that.......  He had some really great teachers and teacher aides this year.  He was a little sad to leave them.

7.  I took the girls, and Alex, to Hello Kitty Town.  Joseph would have no part of this.  He would rather die.  Go figure;)  Sooooo, Hello Kitty vomited, and a restaurant and play area were born. 

This is not one of the places that is cheap/free, for which I often praise Seoul.  No.  It cost us some money.  But the kids loved it, the food was good, and Madelyn will be having a Hello Kitty birthday party this year.

8.  I can't tell you how many times I have reached for my debit card instead of my military ID when I drive up to our housing complex (we have to show our military ID to the gate guard in order to enter).  Luckily, I always catch myself.....but not today.  I handed the guard my debit card.  He was confused.  I'm just glad he didn't arrest me for trying to bribe him to let me onto government property:)

9.  We hiked up Namsan (nam=south, san=mountain), starting from our apartment complex.  Such a nice walk, with a million criss-crossing paths up the side of the mountain, trees, flowers, ponds, and great views of Seoul.  The kids were troopers, and were successfully bribed with snacks.



10.  This is our neighborhood, Hannamdong.  We live in those tall white bldgs. right of center.
Please won't you be my neighbor?  Not for much longer though;)

2 comments:

Missy said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your number 6. we went to three awards ceremonies in 3 days for our children. Each child got a medal and some sort of certificate, possibly more. They performed a musical number a recited. By the 3rd one for the kids going from 4th to 5th grade, it was not so cute anymore. Beth was the MC for her kindergarten graduation.

#7 or #8 I always do the same thing. Can't decide which one I whip out more frequently. I am sure they get it all the time but it does make me wonder if I will get questioned for bribery too!

Living Lavallee said...

I have NOT caught myself twice now and handed a debit card to the gate guys. They think it is HILARIOUS - must have more humor than your confused one. I agree about the graduation business. At least when I was in kiddiegarten we made our own caps out of construction paper and cardboard, aluminum foil and yarn.