Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's the Same, but Different

Where have I been? I don't know. Why do you ask?
Anywhere you go you'll find street food, right? Even in San Angelo, for heavens sake - there was a hotdog vendor next to the court house:) Hot dogs would be a typical street food in America. Korea has it's own version of street foods. Here are a couple of street vendors.

Sometimes they are on the back of a truck, or even a motorcycle. Sometimes they are on a handcart. Sometimes it's even less fancy then that. They are all over Korea. They tempt me everywhere I go....well, sometimes they tempt me. Some times they scare me:)
One interesting snack/street food here is waffles. Yeah, they aren't just a breakfast food. Now, you can get your regular looking waffle, and munch away, or you can get something a little funner, like this.
Waffle mix is poured into a variety of different molds, and sometimes fillings are added. My kids love getting a bag of these corn-shaped waffles, that have a creamy, lemony filling in them.

One of my personal favorites is Mandu.
Fry these babies up, and you're in heaven.

Also, these tasty BBQ chicken kabobs.
Juiciest chicken ever. We've heard tell that they reuse the sticks you throw away, if you don't break them in half. I don't know if that's actually true.
Then there's things that I haven't tried, and maybe won't. Joe has tried these - Deokbokki.
Deok is actually rice cake - but not what Americans would think of as rice cake, like the ones brought to us by Quaker. No, Deok is rice that has been pounded into a paste, and then formed into tube-like rolls. Deokbokki is when they take those rice cakes and put them in a hot chili sauce. Joe has tried them, and wasn't too impressed. We do like deok in other dishes though, in case you were wondering.

I saved these for last.
These are Beondegi, or silkworm pupae. Yep. People love these things like popcorn or something. I can't get past the way they look. I'm sorry if you are disappointed at my lack of courage.
Now, if you are out and about, enjoying Korean street food, and you need to go to the bathroom....well, here you go.
Oh, that's not a urinal. This is a bathroom for girls, yes it is:) You squat.....in case you didn't figure that out. P.S. bring your own toilet paper, and then throw it in the garbage instead of flushing it.

10 comments:

Missy said...

Hahahaha! It's like that scene in the Lion King when young Simba meets Timon and Pumba. I love the toilet btw...what afun experience. Maybe one day Jay and I will be able to share something fun like that. But until then, you can always come and visit us for the Masters.

Kennedy, Brexton, Sadie, Dallin, Jumper said...

Yeah I think I would have to skip the silk worms call me crazy. We miss you guys. I was really wishing you where here when we lost power for 6 days so I could come crash at your house. Looks like life is fun. Love Ya

LaurieSue said...

Silkworms. . .yum. . .
Great pics Ruth! Thanks for giving us a taste of your life there in Korea. :)

aflescarb.blogspot.com said...

I thought corn on the cob on a stick dressed with mayo, cheese, and ketchup...never saw bugs though.

Marissa said...

I can't believe you haven't tried the silkworms yet. And There is NO way I could squat like that. Don't they know it is 2010?

Marie Few said...

This post really sucks when your computer is being stupid and you can't see any of the pictures. I'll have to try it on my other computer.
Love ya

Mom's Place said...

Yeah, can't handle the bugs myself...and that bathroom...very interesting!

Amy said...

Thank you, thank you for putting a picture of that toilet. When we went to Japan I was FLOORED (pun intended) by their public toilets, but the idiot that I am, I never got a picture. And so true about toilet paper. In Japan they give out personal tissues on the street with ads... it took me a while to figure out why.

And those pupa things look wrong... sick and wrong, but the corn thing looks okay. Fun post and I'm so glad it is you experimenting and not me!

Tim said...

I think the biggest shock to Timmy was bathrooms with holes in the floor instead of a toliet.
The waffels looked DELISH!!! The bugs...not so much.

JP Kris and the kids said...

JP was salivating over the food! It looks so good...well, most of it. We had a good laugh at the toilet.